The United States might be facing the greatest constitutional crisis since the Watergate scandal in the early 1970s, thanks to President Trump.
Watergate involved the theft of sensitive information from the Democratic National Committee (DNC) by operatives connected to President Richard M. Nixon’s reelection campaign in 1972. The FBI has information that indicates associate President Trump did the same thing with help from a potentially hostile foreign power namely Russia, CNN reported.
President Nixon was eventually forced to resign because of Watergate. Therefore it is possible that Trump might be forced to resign because of the Russia scandal.
“If [there’s] coordination, then this scandal becomes Watergate-like,” Former US ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul tweeted.
The Trump Russia Scandal What we know
- The FBI has information that associates of President Trump might have coordinated the hacking of DNC emails by individuals tied to Russia, CNN reported.
- The information is substantial and it includes human intelligence, travel records, business documents and phone records.
- The FBI believes that Russian intelligence might have been involved in the hacking.
- FBI Director James Comey seemed to confirm these allegations when he said: "a credible allegation of wrongdoing or reasonable basis to believe an American may be acting as an agent of a foreign power."
- The American involved was not identified but Vox.com reported that Roger Stone; a conservative political operative and longtime Trump associate, was in contact with WikiLeaks the organization that made the DNC emails public.
- Stone tweeted that he had inside information about hacked emails before they were made public in October 2.
- Stone was allegedly in contact with Guccifer 2 a representative of those who hacked the DNC emails.
- There are allegations that Paul Manafort; Trump’s campaign manager at the time the first emails were made public, was on the Russian payroll. Manafort resigned from Trump’s campaign after a ledger suggesting he had received $12.7 million for former Ukraine President Viktor Yanukovych. Yanukovych is an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, Vox reported. Manafort was also paid to lobby on behalf of the Kremlin in Washington by a Russian oligarch.
- Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn was paid tens of thousands of dollars for speeches by Russian companies. Flynn was also a paid contributor to RT a Russian propaganda channel.
- Trump campaign associate Carter Page was under investigation by the FBI for suspicious links to the Kremlin as early as September 2016.
- There is no evidence that Trump himself was in direct contact with the Russians or involved in the hacking.
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions, then a Republican Senator from Alabama met twice with Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak during the campaign. Flynn resigned because of conversations he had with Kislyak before taking the National Security job.
- Russian efforts to help Trump might have involved both hacking and the dissemination of fake news. Note spreading fake news is not criminal because it is free speech protected by the first Amendment.
- There might be more evidence out there that might implicate Trump.
- “I can't go into the particulars, but there is more than circumstantial evidence now,” US Representative Adam Schiff (D-California) said on the MSNBC program Hardball. Schiff is the ranking Democrat on the House’s Permanent Subcommittee on Intelligence so he might have access to more evidence that is classified.
- A report released by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence stated that the FBI, CIA and NSA had “high confidence” that “Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election.”
- The report stated that Putin personally ordered the hacking of the DNC and worked to elect Trump.
It looks as if most of President Trump’s energies will be spent not helping America’s working families but in protecting his own reputation. America needs a president its people it can trust, not a man caught in scandal and linked to a foreign government. Americans deserve a Congress that will hold President Trump accountable for his actions.