Donald J. Trump has been in the Oval Office for a little over two months. Therefore it is a good time to check up on some of the ambitious promises he made to the American people during the election.
Here is a short list of some of the promises Trump made voters and the “progress” he has made on them:
- Protect US manufacturing jobs by placing a 45% tariff on Chinese imports. Since the Inauguration Trump has not even mentioned this tariff which was one of his signature issues during the campaign. The value of Chinese goods shipped to the US increased by 11.5% during February 2017, CNBC reported.
- Repeal and replace Obamacare with a new health plan. The administration’s American Healthcare Act was so unpopular that Republicans pulled it from Congress to avoid an embarrassing defeat. Trump was unable to find enough GOP votes to get one of his signature pieces of legislation through Congress.
- Trump’s new healthcare plan is summed up in this Tweet:
“ObamaCare will explode and we will all get together and piece together a great healthcare plan for THE PEOPLE. Do not worry! — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 25, 2017.”
- Notice that Trump does not say what the “great healthcare plan for the American people" will be.
- Build a Wall on the Mexican border and have Mexico pay for it. Mexico has refused to pay for the Wall, Trump has not revealed how he would force Mexico to pay for the project, and Congress has not funded it. Bloomberg reported that Trump proposed slashing $18 billion from medical research, education and other programs to pay for the wall, increased defense spending and border security.
- More budget cuts might be necessary to pay for the Wall cost estimates for the project have ranged from $15 billion to $25 billion to $41 billion.
- Ban emigration and travel to the United States by Muslims. Donald’s first attempt at this failed when the Courts ruled it was unconstitutional. Now Trump is trying again with measures such as a ban on passengers with personal electronics flying in from 12 airports in Islamic countries. A source described as a “former US official” said, “It appears to be a Muslim ban by a thousand cuts,” in a Buzzfeed article.
- Trump did make good on one promise; to reverse the Obama administration’s restrictions on greenhouse gases to put coal miners back to work. Trump issued an executive order that halts an EPA plan to limit coal burning and requires regulators to ignore climate change when making decisions on coal-burning power plants on March 27.
- “It won’t add any coal jobs, but it will set back the country as a leader on the environment,” finance director Tom Sanzillo of the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis based in Cleveland toldBuzzFeed News. The order also opened federal lands in the West to coal mining. Robert Murray the head of Murray Energy, America’s largest publicly held coal miner and a Trump supporter admitted that Trump cannot bring back coal mining jobs, in a *Guardian *interview.
- The United Nations reported that 2016 was the warmest year on record, *The Irish Times *reported. Temperatures rose by 00.6 degrees and global sea temperatures were the warmest on record. Global sea levels rose sharply while carbon dioxide emissions reached the highest levels yet in 2016.
- Robert Murray hopes that Trump will soon make good on a promise to take carbon dioxide off the list of air pollutants which would strip the EPA of its power to regulate the gas, The Guardianreported.
Donald Trump has not delivered on his promises to the American people but he has delivered on his pledges to Big Coal.